First part of the City Tour: Praça Tiradentes, Câmara Municipal, and Teatro Paiol.
On the second full day in Curitiba, we made a scenic tour through the city. At fixed times, a special white tourist bus with extra large windows runs a 44 km long track along the most popular attractions. For twenty reais (seven euros) you receive four tickets. One ticket is valid at the starting point, and the other three at the bus stops on the track, to continue the bus travel. When the bus arrived at the bus stop at the other side of our pousada, it was already quite crowded. Brazilians were strong in the majority, but I could understand some Spanish and English too. This tourist bus is a very smart option. It attracts tourists to all touristic sites, and the buses and cars are kept outside the city.
A historic building, which was illuminated at night, was located at less than one minute of walking from our pousada. A relatively small building with an expansion at both sides, supported by pillars. The building, the Câmara Municipal, dates from 1896. The 38 councilors of the city of Curitiba work there.
The gunpowder and ammunition storage facility (“Vila Bordignon ‘), originally constructed in 1906, was officially opened in 1971 as a theater with a capacity of 225 guests. The inauguration was carried out with a song by Vinicius de Moraes and Toquinho, ‘ Paiol de Pólvora’. The transformation was carried out under the responsibility of the architect Abrão Anizé Assad. From the outside, the theater looks like an old round, ugly bunker with small arched peepholes. The rough diamond appears to host a comfortable theater inside. See this site for more pictures.
CD promotion in Teatro Paiol.
Paiol e Polvora – Toquinho
By Dr. Adriano Antoine Robbesom
Original text in Dutch, translation with help of Google Translator
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (07). World Cup Stadium `Arena da Baixada` (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (06). City Images From the Rear of a Bi-Articulate Bus (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Heading for Brasil 2014: Stadiums under Construction (Update SEP 2011) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (05). Frans Krajcberg in Jardim Botânico (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Ukrainian Monument, Curitiba (PR) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Why Ecological Cities are also Economic Cities (sustainablecitiescollective.com)
- Arena da Baixada, Curitiba (worldcupbrazilstadiums.wordpress.com)
- Wonderful Pictures of Iguazu Falls (dailypics.co.cc)
- Jardim Botânico de Curitiba (apostcardaday.blogspot.com)