The Colorful Dune Landscape of Lençóis Maranhenses
(Click here for the complete coverage of ‘Maranhão’)
Destination São Luís, capital of the state of Maranhão.
White dominates in the huge dune landscape of Lençóis Maranhenses; however, blue and green are the other common colors.
The dune landscape does not only contain white sands, that feels comfortable cool beneath your bare feet. A sign that the sands must be pure. As a result solar energy is almost entirely reflected; almost nothing is absorbed by sand grains. As a comparison, the sands of Atins beach, only tens of kms away at the Atlantic Ocean. You will burn your feet almost literally on these hot sands. The sands are not white, but pale grey to pale brown.
A clear blue sky, some small, white clouds are floating at the horizon. White sands. Sparse green bushes, who have managed to survive in the white dunes. Green of adjacent trees. Deep blue of the meandering river and smaller side-rivers. Blue-green of the freshwater lakes. Shallow lakes full of rain water. Water that feels very comfortable, that is lukewarm and clear and clean. Ideal water for swimming. Ideal to stay in the water for longer time, when it is very hot. Our group of desert rats transformed themselves into water rats. When it was about time to leave, it it took too much time before the last water rat left the water and went for his beach towel.
By Dr. Adriano Antoine Robbesom
Original text in Dutch, translation with help of Google Translator
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (02). Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses II (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (01). Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses (MA) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (03). Barreirinhas, Gateway to Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Sunset at Atins, Maranhão (MA) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (12) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour V (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Lençóis Maranhenses – Brazil’s Lagoons Among The Dunes (presurfer.blogspot.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (11) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour IV (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Bumba-meu-Boi at Convento das Mercês, São Luís (MA) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Lagoons Among The Dunes (uniquedaily.com)
- Desktop Project Part 17: Sculpting Martian dunes (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (09) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour II (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)