Urban Park Tanguá, a Former Quarry
(Click here for the complete coverage of ‘Curitiba’)
Destination Curitiba, capital of the state of Paraná.
A popular urban park at the site of a former quarry
At the site of the actual park Tanguá, a quarry of the Gava family was located, at the Barigui River, which formed the border between the municipalities of Curitiba and Almirante Tamarandé. When the quarry was shut down, the city of Curitiba decided to construct a recycling plant at this site, and a repository for industrial waste. Fortunately, this decision never was realized, and in 1996, a beautiful park was inaugurated, free for everyone. Tanguá Park has become one of the most favorite urban parks in Curitiba, and many tourists find their way to this park.
The park, measuring no less than 23 hectares, consists of two levels with a mutual difference of about 65 meters. At the lower part, one may find a lot of greenery along a lake, with a number of bicycle paths and footpaths. One may practice rowing on the lake. An artificial tunnel connects this lake with a smaller lake. At the upper part, one may find the Jardim Poty Lozzarotto, named after local artist Napoleon Potyguara Lozzarotto (1924-1998). This French-style garden has an ocher gazebo, colorful flowerbeds and a pond. From the edge, water runs down tens of meters through a waterfall.
While sports fanatics may enjoy the Cooper lane, the bike track, the rowing track, others may enjoy the churrasco sites, or the bistro at the lower part. The upper part offers ample opportunities for beautiful photographic compositions. For example, pictures of the Belvedere with the colors of the sunset. Merry wedding couples pick the pond for their memorable snapshots. During our visit, we restricted ourselves to the upper part, especially to save time. Because there was so much to see in Curitiba…
Map of Tanguá park
By Adriano Antoine Robbesom
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (09). City Tour II, Bus Stops 1 – 10 (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (08). City Tour I,City Hall and Paiol Theater (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Historical University Building, Curitiba (PR) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (06). City Images From the Rear of a Bi-Articulate Bus (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (07). World Cup Stadium `Arena da Baixada` (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Livrarias Curitiba: Games, Crisis, Apocalypse (ibelieveinadv.com)
- Travel in Brazil: CURITIBA (05). Frans Krajcberg in Jardim Botânico (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)