Congonhas is a small historical city at 75 km south of Belo Horizonte, along the ‘Estrada Real’ to Rio de Janeiro. The city is well known for the statues of Brazilian artist Aleijadinho.
The prophets by Aleijadinho: prophet Oséias (Hosea).
Oséias (Hosea, ‘God saves’) was a contemporary of Isaiah and is one of the Minor Prophets. The book tells about God who forced Hosea to marry a prostitute.
The prophets (with clickable links),from left to right (names in Portuguese):
Statues of twelve prophets carved from soap stone are located in frond of Santuário do Bom Jesus Matosinhos. Aleijadinho had sculpted them between 1795 and 1805.
Oséias (“God saves”) better known as Hosea in English. He was a contemporary of Isaiah and is considered as one of the Minor Prophets. His book is the first of the twelve minor prophecies. Hosea lived in the eight century B.C., when Israel went through dark times. Times of melancholy and doom, of adultery, of murder and idolatry. The book Hosea tells about the marriage, forced by God, of Hosea with a prostitute, Gomer. The couple got three children, but it is not sure whether the third child is Hosea’s too. The couple separated from each other, but Hosea found or bought her back. She returned to him, but he abstained himself from sexual activities with Gomer, for a long time. The story symbolizes the relationship of God with the unfaithful nation of Israel, which became punished and then found mercy. This book is the first in which marriage is used as a metaphor.
On the shield that Oséias is holding, one can read the following motto:
Teram, Ait Do/
Minus Mihi: Id/
Facta Uxor, Pro/
(“Toma a adúltera disse-me o Senhor: eu o faço: ela, tornando-se minha esposa, concebe e dá luz. Oséias, cap.1”).
(You should marry an adulterous, God said. I married her. She, who became my wife, became pregnant and gave birth to a child)
Like, Ezequiel and Jeremias, Oséias is wearing a short, buttoned mantle, with a belt around the waist. Oséias is using the same kind of beret as Ezequiel does. Oséias wears high fur boots and holds a quill in his right and, which is sculpted in a writing position. The statue – consisting of two parts – is anatomically almost correct.
|Prophet Hosea – short movie
By Dr. Adriano Antoine Robbesom
- Historic Minas Gerais: CONGONHAS (04): The Twelve Prophets III: Jonas (Jonah) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Historic Minas Gerais: CONGONHAS. (01) An Overview (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Historic Minas Gerais: CONGONHAS. (02) The Twelve Prophets I: Amós (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Historic Minas Gerais: CONGONHAS (08): The Twelve Prophets VII: Jeremias (Jeremiah) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: RIO DE JANEIRO (15). Aleijadinho in Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Historic Minas Gerais: CONGONHAS (07): The Twelve Prophets VI: Daniel (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)