Destination Fortaleza, capital of the state of Ceará.
Episode 9. The open air handicraft market along the shoreline of Beira-Mar.
The shoreline of Beira-Mar, a popular tourist location
Idyllic image of a sunset at Beira-Mar
Avenida Beira-Mar, a popular location in Fortaleza. The curve shape of the beach, flanked by modern skyscrapers. It somewhat resembles Copacabana Beach, but here in Fortaleza, the temperature of the ocean water is much higher. The beach is popular among tourists: not only for making splendid pictures, but also for amusement and entertainment. One of the best known attractions is the Feira Artesanato, an open air handicraft market. You may find embroidered towels, crochet tops and shirts, double hammocks, printed doormats. Also very interesting are the wood carvings, which may be considered as art pieces. Carvings of saints, religious scenes, scenes of daily life in this region. It is really worth seeing them. And what about the price? You need to bargain, and with some luck and some persuasion, you might obtain such an art piece for a reasonable price.
Hungry and thirsty visitors also will find their way at the market. You really need to try the tapioca, that is freshly prepared for you. Tapioca is white flour obtained from manioc roots. Flour is poured in a small frying pan; the flour becomes a kind of a pancake. Then the filling is added, and the pancake is being closed, ready for consumption. The filling may be sweet: chocolate, cocos, honey, banana, guava, strawberry with chocolate, for example. The filling may also be salty: mozzarella cheese, catupiry cheese, chicken, pizza, salami. Usually, no sauce is added to the tapioca pancake.
Impression of the Feira Artesanato:
By Adriano Antoine Robbesom
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (08). Mercado Central (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (07). Catedral Metropolitana (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (06). Caucaia Beach (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (05). Dragão do Mar, Cultural Center Named After a Brazilian Hero (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (04). Forte Nossa Senhora da Assunção, Former Fort Schoonenborch (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: FORTALEZA (02). Mucuripe, Cradle of Brazil? (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)