The giant statue of St. Joseph in São José de Ribamar
Destination São Luís, capital of the state of Maranhão.
The giant, 17,5 m statue of St. Joseph and his son, Jesus.
Saõ José de Ribamar is located at the other side of Ilha (island) de São Luís. The distance between the city of São Luís and São José is little more than 30 km. The city of São José de Ribamar counts about 140 thousand inhabitants and is widely known for the giant statue of Saint Joseph and his son Jesus.
The 17.5 m high statue of St. Joseph and Jesus
There is a reason for this statue, a legend is connected to it. A legend about desperate sailors of a ship from Portugal, who aimed their prayers to St. Joseph. As in a miracle, they suddenly were saved from a destructive storm. At the location where they had stranded, the city of São José de Ribamar was founded, the statue was erected much later. Each year, on 13 September, tens of thousands of pilgrims gather in the city, mainly around the statue. Another big festival is at the first weekend after Ash Wednesday. No less than one hundred thousand visitor gather to witness the final carnival parades.
People realize their own small size,
at the base of this immense statue.
The statue of St. Joseph and Jesus is no less than 17.5 meters high. It is considered among the five largest statues in Brazil. Other giant statues are Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro (38 m), the statue of Frei Damião in Guarabira (34 m), statue of Padre Cícero in Juazeiro do Norte (27 m). The latter two statues are located in the state of Ceará. It was planned to construct another large statue – with the size of no less than 90 meters, and 75 meters high! – in São Miguel do Iguaçu (PR). The statue should have represented archangel Micheal who had beaten a dragon with the sword Excalibur.
By Adriano Antoine Robbesom
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (29). São José de Ribamar (II), Statues of St. Joseph (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (28). São José de Ribamar (I) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (27). Street Images of São Luís (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (26). Historical Center of São Luís (III) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (25). Historical Center of São Luís (II) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)