Destination São Luís, capital of the state of Maranhão.
Touristic information and websites about Barreirinhas, gateway to the dune landscape of Lençóis Maranhenses.
Web site by the state of Maranhão
Sometimes it is preferable not to visit commercial websites immediately, but to take a bit more time to find websites from the (local) authorities. This is also the case with the website of the state of Maranhão. This website has been translated into English, although some items and links are maintained in Portuguese.
The index page already indicates that adventure is being encouraged.
O que levar: What to carry?
For example, water, food, sunburn cream
Como chegar: How to be reached?
By bus, car, 4×4
Onde ficar: Where to stay?
Lists of hotels and pousadas
O que fazer: What to do?
Trails, visits, events
Onde comer: Where to dine?
A list of restaurants
The other sections (Parque dos Lençóis, Delta das Américas, Chapada das Mesas, Floresta dos Guarás) have the same lay-out.
For example, it is quite easy to find a hotel or pousada in Barreirinhas. Also the pousada, where we had spent the night, is listed: Pousada da Deusa, complete with address and phone number. The list of restaurants seems to be limited, but please bear in mind that many tiny restaurants exist in Barreirinhas, that serve delicious food at lower fares. Those restaurants are not listed in the website.
Much more information is read on the pages in Portuguese language, for example the various adventurous trails. You can find those on this web site)
Circuito dos Lagos: Visit of the lakes in and along the park. It is even a possibility to have contact with the local inhabitants.
Circuito das Aves: This trail leads deep inside the park and will visit lakes that are rich in birds. A must-do for ornithologists.
Circuito Oásis do Parque: This trail can be done by walking, horse riding, or by cycling. Visit of two local communities, as well as the remnants of the first people living in this region.
Circuito Águas do Rio Alegre: Since the water level of the Alegre River was lowered, elaborate beach areas have emerged. This trail goes along various communities along the river and along public bath locations where one may take a bath in the clear river waters without risking the health.
Circuito Costa Leste: A trail to the elaborate beaches of the park, more than 70 kilometers of desolate beaches. This trail also will visit some freshwater lakes in the park.
Circuito Litoral: A trail visiting the more known communities and visiting one of the corners of the park, along mangrove woods, lakes and dunes.
Circuito do Cajueiro/Gaivota: The shortest trail. This one visits the locations that are being used for commercials and movies.
Circuito Comunidades do Parque: This trail visits the principal communities of the region and provides the participant to taste the local candies, such as jellies made from caju (cashew plant), buriti (palm tree berries) and murici.
and a Dutch site: ecotour.nl
N.B. These lists are not complete.
To visit Lençóis, one may opt for the period between April and August. In June the rain season comes to an end, then the freshwater lakes will start to dry up gradually. Many lakes will be evaporated completely between September and March, and a strong wind may annoy your visit.
By Dr. Adriano Antoine Robbesom
Original text in Dutch, translation with help of Google Translator
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (03). Barreirinhas, Gateway to Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (12) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour V (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Sunset at Atins, Maranhão (MA) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (02). Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses II (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (11) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour IV (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (01). Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (09) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour II (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (10) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour III (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (08) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour I (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses (MA) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (04). Colorful Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)